Stress can happen to anyone and impacts people in different ways. Here are some common stress symptoms and responses:
Aches and Pains*
- Neck ache
- Stomach ache
- Tight muscles
- Clenched jaw
Energy Level and Sleep*
- Feeling tired without a good reason
- Trouble sleeping
- Out of control
Other Emotional Signs
- Easily irritated
*Some physical signs of stress may be caused by your medical condition or by medicines you take. If you aren’t sure what’s causing your physical symptoms, ask your doctor if stress might be the cause.
How Do You Respond?
When you are under stress, do any of these behaviors apply to you?
- I eat to calm down.
- I speak and eat very fast.
- I drink alcohol or smoke to calm down.
- I rush around but do not get much done.
- I work too much.
- I delay doing the things I need to do.
- I sleep too little, too much or both.
- I slow down.
- I try to do too many things at once.
Engaging in even one of these behaviors may mean that you are not dealing with stress as well as you could.
Stress management is an important part of caring for your health. Learn how to manage your stress through relaxation techniques and stress management strategies on Go Red.