For racially and ethnically diverse women in medically underserved communities, the need for passionate, strong voices in healthcare is critical.
That’s because Hispanic women are likely to develop heart disease 10 years earlier than non-Hispanics and African American women have almost twice the risk of stroke than Caucasians. Even with these disparities, there is a shortage of female nurses, doctors and allied health professionals with diverse ethnic backgrounds.
The Go Red™ Multicultural Scholarship Fund was created by Macy’s and Go Red For Women as a commitment to reversing these trends. We invite women to apply for one of the 16 $2,500 scholarships that will be awarded through the Go Red™ Multicultural Scholarship Fund to offer aid and incentive to continue a path in the medical field.
This scholarship fund, now in its fourth year, aims to bridge the gaps in treatment and access available to minority patients, and provides a more affordable education for women of diverse backgrounds. We believe that all Americans should have an opportunity to work with healthcare providers that understand the cultural differences and traditions that impact lifestyle and attitudes toward heart health and the Go Red Multicultural Fund one way to make this a possibility.
Diverse healthcare workforce can lead to improved, overall patient health, along with an end to the No. 1 killer in women: heart disease.
The Go Red Multicultural Scholarship Fund awards scholarships each year in March and registration is open from April until December. You may find more information on our Frequently Asked Questions document.
Here’s how you can apply:
Step 1: Check the qualifications
- Be a female of Hispanic, African-American, Asian/Pacific Islander or other minority origin
- Be a citizen/permanent resident of the continental United States, including Hawaii and Alaska
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university or allied health institution in the U.S. and plan to be enrolled in the Fall of 2015
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Complete an essay and submit two letters of recommendation with the application
Step 2: Apply online
You’ll be asked to:
- Create a login
- Fill out the application form
Step 3: Finalize and upload documents
You’ll need to provide:
- A Community Involvement description
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- A Personal Essay
Scholarship Management System provided by WizeHive
For questions, contact us at GoRedScholarship@heart.org.