Plan a Wear Red Day Event
Organize a Wear Red Day at your workplace, with your faith-based organization, at your community center or even in your own home using the ideas below. Inspire your friends, neighbors, coworkers and family members to show their support for the fight against heart disease. Get Started Here!
On Your Own
Use these ideas to fundraise on your own or with friends and family.
- Support letters. Send out letters to family and friends with the mission of National Wear Red Day and ask them for donations to support the cause.
- Garage sale. Rummage through your garage or attic and have a neighborhood garage sale. Create signs and flyers letting your customers know that all of the proceeds will benefit National Wear Red Day and the American Heart Association. See if any of your neighbors would like to throw a garage sale with you!
- Coffee fast. For the two weeks before National Wear Red Day place the money you would normally spend on going out for coffee in a donation jar. Not a coffee drinker? Bring your lunch to work or school and donate your lunch money to fight heart disease in women.
- Provide a service. Ask your neighbors and friends if there are any chores they need done like mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutter, or babysitting their kids. Instead of being paid for the service, ask them to make a donation to National Wear Red Day in exchange for your service.
- Have a Wear Red Day Get-together. Invite friends, family, neighbors for a Wear Red Day Get-Together. Make some heart-healthy snacks, show the "Go Red Choose To Live" DVD, available from ShopGoRed.com. Then, ask if your friends would like to help save lives by donating funds for this important cause. You can show them your Go Red Donation page and collect donations. Setup your donation page here!
Use these fundraising ideas to raise awareness of heart disease in women at school.
- Use these fundraising ideas to raise awareness of heart disease in women at school. Items to sell could include fiber-rich whole grain bagels, oatmeal, fruit salad, veggie sticks, water bottles, and other heart smart snacks. Promote heart disease awareness by passing out flyers. Use our Top 10 Foods in Red flyer for ideas.
- Class competition. Provide each class with a red bucket for collecting donations. Have students solicit donations from their family and neighbors as well. Throw a National Wear Red Day party for whichever classroom raises the most donations.
- Red Raffle. Ask teachers, classrooms, students, and parents to donate red items for a National Wear Red Day raffle.
- Profit share. Find a local restaurant or food chain and ask if students, teachers, and parents can help serve food for a day in exchange for a portion of the proceeds or a donation to National Wear Red Day.
- Car wash. Clear out the school's parking lot on a Saturday and hold a car wash. Customers can make a $XX donation in exchange for a clean car.
Use these tips to help fundraise and spread awareness of heart disease in women at your workplace.
- Casual days. For a $XX donation, workers can purchase a day to wear jeans to the office. Be sure to give everyone that donates a red dress pin as a thank you.
- Make a calendar. Individuals, departments, families, or offices can make a donation to "purchase" a month on the calendar. Donors can design their calendar page with facts on heart disease, personal stories, words of encouragement, or heart-healthy habits. Further fundraising can be achieved by selling the calendar to the community.
- Sell extended lunch hours. In the workplace, sell an extra 30 minutes of lunchtime for $5.00 or more.
- Costume contest. On National Wear Red Day, hold a costume contest for the most creative or craziest red outfits. For a donation, employees gain admittance to the contest. Award prizes, like an extra casual day the next week.
- Healthy bake sale. Items to sell could include fiber-rich whole grain bagels, oatmeal, fruit salad, veggie sticks, water bottles, and other heart smart snacks. Promote heart disease awareness by passing out flyers. Use our Top 10 Foods in Red flyer for ideas.
- Lunch-and-learns. Invite local experts on heart disease (physicians, health educators, physical therapists) to give a lunch hour lecture for employees. Ask for a donation for employees to attend and receive free red dress pin or healthy foods.
- Heart healthy cookbook. Ask neighbors, coworkers, or students to submit their favorite healthy recipe or favorite "Red" recipe to be in the cookbook. Include facts about heart disease with the recipes and sell the book to community members, schools, and offices.
- Hold a Red Raffle. Ideas for items include heart-healthy recipes, flowers, casual days, or paraphernalia.
- Paper Red Dresses. Use the Red Dress silhouette found on the National Wear Red Dress site for individuals to write their personal stories, heart disease facts, or names of loved ones and then hang in the office, school, or neighborhood
Nationally sponsored by: Macy's