Sweet Spiced Salmon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 salmon fillets with skin (about 5 ounces each), rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium lemon, quartered (optional)
- Calories 187
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 74 mg
- Sodium 388 mg
- Carbohydrates 6 g
- Fiber 0 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 28 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 very lean meat
- Set the orange zest aside in a small bowl.
- In a large shallow glass dish, stir together the orange juice and lemon juice. Add the fish, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, stir the brown sugar, paprika, curry powder, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne into the orange zest. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Drain the fish, discarding the marinade. Arrange the fillets with the skin side down on the baking sheet. Rub the brown sugar mixture over the flesh side of the fish.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until the fish is cooked to the desired doneness.
- Using a metal spatula, lift the fish out of the skin. Transfer to plates. Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Cook’s Tip: Marinate the salmon for only 30 minutes so the texture will remain firm.
© American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes like this from our Go Red For Women magazine cookbooks published by Publications International, Ltd. (PIL) at ShopHeart.org.