Serves 6; 1 1/3 cups per serving
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 1 medium or large onion, chopped
- 1 pound 4 ounces ground skinless turkey breast
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 4 medium green onions, green part only, sliced
- Calories 347
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 64 mg
- Sodium 129 mg
- Carbohydrates 42 g
- Fiber 10 g
- Sugars 14 g
- Protein 34 g
Dietary Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat
- Lightly spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add the oil and heat over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the turkey. Cook for 5 minutes, or until browned, stirring frequently to turn and break up the turkey.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, pepper, and cumin. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the green onions. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through, stirring frequently. Just before serving, sprinkle with the green onions.
© American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes like this from our Go Red For Women magazine cookbooks published by Publications International, Ltd. (PIL) at ShopHeart.org.