Sandy Paty’s Story

Heart Failure Survivor, Age 54, Carrollton, TX

Gives and receives support


Sandy's Story

Oct 17, 2012-Arrived at work at 7 am.  By 7:30am I was not feeling well.  At 8am I felt like I had pulled some muscles in my chest.  I went home at 1pm.  By this time I was tired, had a headache & my chest really hurt.  My oldest daughter, Kasey(20), asked why I was home.  I told her I didn’t feel well (I was never really sick up to this point).  She thought it was rather odd.  The couch looked comfortable, so I laid down & slept til 9pm.  At this point no matter what I did I couldn’t get comfortable.  My youngest daughter, Haley(18), asked if I was ok.  Around 10pm, I told them I needed to go to the ER as I didn’t want to die.  I was admitted for a heart attack.  The next day they did a stress test which I failed miserably (I worked out all the time & did all the healthy things), by passing out 2 minutes into the test.  Later in my room the dr came in & told me that I needed heart surgery within the next 6 months or I would be dead.  I remained in the hospital for 5 days.

May 9, 2012-Heart attack #2.

May 16, 2012-I had heart valve repair surgery.  It was touch & go for the first 3 days.  I hardly remember those days.  Bits & pieces are all I have.  They had me set up with a temporary pacemaker.  On 3 seperate occassions they tried to turn it off to see if my heart would do what it was meant to do.  I died all 3 times.  They then gave me a pacemaker.

July, August, Sept, Oct 2012-I had a TIA in each of those months.

February 16, 2013-I was admitted to the hospital to be monitored while they were putting me on Sotalol.  I had been in A Fib off & on since my surgery.

March 2013-My dr’s diagnosed me with congestive heart failure.  The rest of the news didn’t get any better from there.  They told me that I would have at least 10 yrs.  I’m determined to prove them wrong.

May 12, 2013-I had yet another TIA

Dec 3, 2013-Yet again another TIA

Since my surgery & pacemaker I have been taking Coumadin, tried countless other medications, that worked to no avail.  The Sotalol seems to be working.  

The only other problems that I live with are low blood pressure & shortness of breath, since my surgery,  My little finger, ring finger, left side of my hand & left side of my left arm are tingly since May 2013.  I have no feeling in the 2 fingers, too.

It’s been a long fight & struggle, but I will prevail.  I’m thankful for every morning that I open my eyes & put my feet on the floor.

Give and Receive support from Sandy

Sandy is interested in giving and receiving support from other women with heart disease. Contact her if you'd like to give and receive support.


« Previous   Next »

Now it's your turn
to share your Story.


Sorry, you need to be logged in to view this page. If you have not joined please .