Healthier Food Leadership Strategy
The AHA is serving up innovation. And everyone’s invited.
It’s no secret that a healthier diet is a key ingredient to overall good health. The good news: There are lots of positive things happening in the food and beverage industry and in other critical areas. The even-better news: There is opportunity for continued improvement and the American Heart Association is looking to broaden the conversation with food sector, non-profit and public health leaders.
In this podcast, American Heart Association CEO Nancy Brown talks about the organization’s approach to this conversation. She addresses the nutrition landscape, current corporate strategies, the importance of a holistic approach to health and the role social factors play in health and nutrition. She also talks about American Heart Association programs and strategies as well as the collaboration opportunities with the organization.
The American Heart Association is working to accomplish three immediate goals. They are:
- Strengthening the connection between the public health community and the food sector.
- Inspiring collective action with a new membership model for the Industry Nutrition Forum.
- Developing and launching the American Heart Association's first-ever Foodscape Innovation Awards program.
Listen to the podcast to hear more about these strategies, then join the conversation and get involved with us. Together we can do more.
Podcast Participant Bio
Nancy Brown - Chief Executive Officer, American Heart Association
Nancy Brown is Chief Executive Officer of the American Heart Association (AHA). The Association is widely known and highly respected as the world’s largest voluntary health organization and a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. Under her leadership the Association established the first-ever definition of “cardiovascular health” and a bold 2020 health impact goal: To improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20 percent while reducing deaths from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20 percent.
Nancy has also led the organization to many significant advances, including:
- Launching the AHA’s Institute for Precision Cardiovascular Medicine, to fulfill the promise of personalized medicine:
- MyResearchLegacy™ puts patients and their needs at the center of scientific research.
- One Brave Idea™ - a $75 million research collaboration co-founded with Verily, with significant support from AstraZeneca and Quest Diagnostics coming on as a pillar supporter. The goal is to end coronary heart disease.
- The Center for Accelerated Drug Discovery™ - a drug discovery platform using state-of-the-art super-computing technology of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to validate targeted drug hypotheses and reduce time to market of new therapies by as much as 50 percent; and
- A strategic business relationship with Amazon Web Services to power the AHA Precision Medicine Platform.
- Convening the AHA’s CEO Roundtable, comprised of 44 member CEOs from the largest and most influential corporations committed to workplace health solutions;
- Launching $30 Million Cardeation Capital venture fund, together with UPMC and Philips to invest in innovative healthcare solutions
- Advancing numerous new mission-aligned and revenue business enterprises for the Association; and
- Evolving the Association’s integrated global strategy expanding the s international presence and impact.
In addition to her tireless efforts for the AHA, is co-chairman of the Health Governors Community of the World Economic Forum, vice-chairman of the Truth Initiative, and serves as a member of the boards of directors and Precision Medicine Council for the World Economic Forum’s Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution, the Coalition to Transform Advanced Care, Research!America, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and the Valentin Fuster-Mount Sinai Foundation for Science, Health and Empowerment. She also serves as a member of the Qualcomm Life Advisory Board, the Phillips Advisory Board and Leadership18. She is a past chairman of the board of the National Health Council.