Serves 4; 1 cup per serving
Rustic Italian Tomato Soup
16 ounces frozen mixed bell pepper strips (may be labeled stir-fry mix)
1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added navy beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 215 mg
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fiber 5 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 5 g
- In a food processor or blender, process the bell pepper strips, tomatoes with liquid, broth, beans, basil, parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes until slightly chunky or smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the flavors are blended.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the oil and salt.
© American Heart Association