Too busy to add more exercise to your schedule? When you can’t seem to make time for a full workout, try these no-sweat ways to simply move more.
You found your keys. You found the motivation to clean out your closet. Now you can find at least 150 minutes each week to get physically active! Don’t worry, there are plenty of easy, no-cost ways to do it.
Think there’s no way you can find the time? Good news: You don’t have to do it all at once. In fact, it’s better to spread your activity throughout the week. You can get health benefits even if you split it into a few short bouts of exercise a day.
7 no-brainer ways to boost your activity level
- Grab the leash and walk your dog. Your body — and your pooch — will thank you!
- Take your kid (or your spouse) for a walk. It’s an excellent way to get some face time without screens. Keep it fun by exploring new neighborhoods or turning your walk into a scavenger hunt.
- Try the 10-Minute Workout. Stuck at home? Boost your heart rate and brain power with this quick home workout
- Walk and talk. Even if you’re glued to your phone for work calls, you don’t have to be glued to your chair. Make it a habit to talk and walk. Some workplaces have walking paths to make it even easier to burn while you earn.
- Tune into fitness. Retrain your inner couch potato. Walk or jog in place, do yoga or lift weights, or walk on the treadmill at the gym while you watch your must-see TV shows.
- Ditch the car. Spare yourself the parking stress and log some more active time by parking farther away (or even leaving the car at home) and walking or biking to your destination.
- Take the stairs. The elevator may go up — but it doesn’t make your heart rate climb. Take the stairs when you can, even if just for a floor or two. And don’t ride the escalator – climb it. Those can be active steps, too!
When you start looking for them, you’ll see lots of opportunities to be more active every day and get a few more steps in during everyday activities. Remember, every step counts!