Power Up to Move More
Do you have trouble staying energized for your post-workday workout? We feel you! Try these tips to keep your energy going strong so you can move more.
- Hydrate: Drink water throughout the day and especially before, during and after physical activity.
- Fuel up: Snack on healthy carbs, such as vegetables, fruits and whole grains, when your energy is starting to lag.
- Fight fatigue: Alternate sitting and standing during the day. Wear comfy shoes you can easily walk in to keep your legs and feet feeling fine.
- Refresh: Try stress-relieving activity breaks, such as lunchtime walks, meditation and yoga to rejuvenate and refresh anytime.
- Breathe: Practice breathing deeply by inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth slowly to deliberately send more oxygen to your brain and body.
- Eat for energy: Avoid eating saturated fats. They digest slowly and can take away oxygen and energy-delivering blood from your muscles.
- Don't wait: Make it a habit to go right from work or school to your workout or activity. If you stop at home, you may be tempted to skip it.
- Refuel: Refuel after your workout with lean protein, healthy carbs — such as a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread — and plenty of water so your body can recover more quickly.
Find more ways to be Healthy for Good at heart.org/HealthyForGood
© Copyright 2023 American Heart Association, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited.