Restrictive cardiomyopathy tends to affect older adults. The heart's ventricles become rigid because abnormal tissue, such as scar tissue, replaces the normal heart muscle. As a result, the ventricles can't relax normally and fill with blood, and the atria become enlarged. Blood flow in the heart is reduced over time. This can lead to problems such as heart failure or arrhythmias.
Otros nombres de la miocardiopatía restrictiva
- Miocardiopatía restrictiva idiopática
- Miocardiopatía infiltrativa
Qué causa la miocardiopatía restrictiva
Determinadas enfermedades, afecciones y factores pueden causar miocardiopatía restrictiva. Por ejemplo:
- Hemochromatosis: a disease in which too much iron builds up in your body. The extra iron is toxic to the body and can damage the organs, including the heart.
- Sarcoidosis: a disease that causes inflammation and can affect the body's organs. Researchers believe that an abnormal immune response may cause sarcoidosis. The abnormal response causes tiny lumps of cells to form in the body's organs, including the heart.
- Amyloidosis: a disease in which abnormal proteins build up in the body's organs, including the heart.
- Trastornos del tejido conectivo.
- Algunos tratamientos oncológicos, como la radiación y la quimioterapia.